Thursday, June 28, 2018

Extras from suggested readings (week 3)

This week's extra comes from the suggested reading text, The Technology Director's Guide to Leadership:  the power of great questions by Don Hall.  One extra little something I want to share comes from chapter 2 - What kind of leader am I?  The author defines three main styles of leadership, explaining that there can be some crossover.  You can possess characteristics from more than one style of leadership.  It was enlightening.  I could pick old bosses out of the descriptions.  He calls the three styles, sage, sensei, and oracle.  I think my current boss definitely aspires to be a sensei, but can sometimes get bogged down as sage.  He is nonconfrontational and I think that helps his coaching.  It made me realize that we are more alike than I had previously thought.  I don't know if that's good or bad.  Good that I see we share some of the same strengths (or characteristics that I consider strengths, anyway) but bad that I see we have some of the same weaknesses.  I'm going to have to work on mine or find value in them (in him) so I don't interpret them as weaknesses any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of course reflection

This course has taught me to really reflect on my teaching practice and to be more intentional as I develop instructional plans and strategi...